The Pioneer Preparatory School suffered a great loss, when the river that ran near by overflowed and left mud, debris and damage to the school. This school, shared by local and international students, is known for its academic excellence and is scheduled to open very soon, however, it will be delayed as it is in a disaster area and very poor condition.
Damaged Done to the Pioneer Preparatory School by the passing of Tropical storm Erika includes:
- The road leading the school was blocked with large boulders and debris.
- Pedestrian access to the school is compromised. The pedestrian walk on the bridge is damaged. There is debris on both sides of the road, which would mean students who walk to school or to the bus stop would have to walk along the busy highway.
- There is a lot of dust in the area, which poses a health hazard to the students and teachers. Persons with respiratory illnesses would be at high risk.
- The school building’s structure is solid however there is need to clean up. Dust and mud need to be removed. The entire building needs to be power washed.
- The drains around the school are all blocked. If it rains, any water from the guttering would cause a flood on the compound.
- Chidren need an area to play. The playground is currently unfit for reacreation activity. It is covered in mud and debris from the river.
- The fencing around the school was damaged; students are able to wonder into the streets and pedestrians fee to enter the compaunt at any time. Security is compromised.
- The river bed was raised significantly as a result of sedimentation. This increases the risk of future flash floods.
Materials Lost or Damaged as a Result of Tropical Storm Erika:
- Books: chapter books, books for young children, story books, poetry books.
- Posters related to all subject and grades
- Craft and Art materials
- Science kits
- Reference materials and dictionaries
- Math materials
- Learning materials.
- Teacher’s and student’s desks, cabinets, computers
The Pioneer Preparatory School is asking for help to take care of the damage for the children, who are our most precious resource. To make donation to the school, please see the crowd-funding web-site and share within your friends: https://www.youcaring.com/pioneer-prep-school-school-422729