Photo by Jungle Bay Guide
If youâ€™re planning a tropical island wedding, and also a bit of adventure, then Dominica is one island destination worthy of a closer look. Dominica offers beautiful natural rainforests, cascading waterfalls, exotic beaches, swimming, and mountain hikes. The weather in Dominica is ideal for any tropical wedding, subtropical days and balmy nights.
Legal requirements for getting married in Dominica
Marriage Licenses for Nationals and Non-nationals can be obtained from the Ministry of Community Development, Culture, Gender Affairs and Information.
Marriage Licenses are issued when:
- Parties wish to marry at the High Court;
- Parties wish to marry outside buildings designated for that purpose marriages (Churches ); or
- Parties do not wish their Bann to be aired at Church.
To obtain a Marriage License the following is required:
- Completed Application Form â€˜Gâ€™ must be signed by both parties and witnessed by a Magistrate.
- A completed Declaration Form must be signed by each party before a Commissioner of Oaths. EC $7.50 postage stamps* must be affixed to each form.
- Birth Certificate from each – Baptismal Certificates are not accepted.
- A non-marriage certificate must be presented to ensure that applicants have never been married.
- If married before, a Decree of Divorce or a Death Certificate of former spouse must be produced.
- If resident abroad, one of the applicants must reside in Dominica for 2 days immediately preceding such application. A passport must be produced for inspection.
- A license fee of EC $300.00 must be paid on submission of the above-listed documents to the Ministry of Community Development, Culture, Gender Affairs and Information . (Personal cheques are not accepted.)
- Stamps are available for purchase at the General Post Office in Roseau and at its branches.
Non-nationals whose documents are not in English must have all required documents translated by an authorised office or translator. All documents must be duly stamped. Please note that only the original translation will be accepted. In addition, the original and a copy of the documents should be submitted for verification and records.
- Marriages with the Registrar’s Office – EC $30.00.
- Marriages celebrated outside the Registrar’s Offices will cost EC $100.00 plus a reasonable transportation fee.
- Fees are applicable for marriage ceremonies within the National Parks and other locations. Contact the Forestry Division (telephone: (767) 266-3817, e-mail: [email protected]) for fees for use of the National Parks.
- Lawyers fee for statutory declaration on marital status (inclusive of Affidavit) – EC $500.00.
For more information on how to get married in Dominica, contact the Ministry of Community Development, Culture, Gender Affairs and Information, call telephone# 1(767)266â€“3207 or email them at [email protected].